Kremlin dismisses mass burial findings as ‘lies’

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov calls the Ukrainian claims of mass graves of civilians in Izyum a lie.

  • Dmitry Peskov, Kremlin spokesman

The Kremlin on Monday dismissed its forces’ responsibility for the large-scale killings in eastern Ukraine, accusing kyiv of fabricating its claims of mass graves discovered in the retaken territory of Izyum.

Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said: “These are lies”, adding that Russia “will defend the truth in this story”.

It comes after Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky recorded a video address in English last Thursday claiming that a mass grave had been discovered in Izyum, where foreign media representatives were taken the following day. Another shock came when an armed guard who works for Zelensky was later spotted wearing a Nazi badge during his visit to Izyum.

Last Sunday, Russian military sources said Al Mayadeenfrom the correspondent: “Ukrainian forces took control of abandoned or nearly abandoned towns in the Kharkov region on the outskirts of Balakliya, Izyum, and Russian forces had no notable presence in the towns, except for a small number of detachments dedicated to carry out reconnaissance missions”.

Member of the Russian Civic Chamber, Alexander Malkevich, recently said, quoted by CASS that the Ukrainian soldiers killed in the Kharkov region were presented as victims of alleged repressions by Russia.

According to Malkevich, the presence of foreign media at the scene was essential to present this problem in the press and to smear the name of Russia with accusations of massacres, adding: “We are shown several graves, they start to dig them up, to show In fact, Russian troops and often civil-military administration officials buried slain Ukrainian soldiers who had been abandoned on a battlefield by their so-called comrades. are the Ukrainians their so-called comrades in arms were making fun of”.

The withdrawal from Kharkov to Donetsk, Moscow explained, was carried out during a three-day operation conducted to minimize Russian losses.

The member of the Russian Civic Chamber further relayed kyiv’s lack of interest in the fate of the bodies of Ukrainian troops: “The same thing is happening on the border of the Kherson and Nikolaev regions where endless attacks are underway in purpose of promoting Zelensky. We know that [head of the Nikolayev regional state administration Vitaly] Kim refuses to take the bodies of those killed. That is to say, basically, in any place where the Ukrainian army sacrifices its soldiers by the tens and hundreds, it is possible to organize many such events at the Bucha by following a known technology” .

On April 3, Bucha was at the center of kyiv’s accusations of an alleged Russian massacre of civilians, which the Russian Defense Ministry dismissed, saying through its military agency that its armed forces left Bucha on March 30, and surprisingly “evidence of crimes” was uncovered four days later, after Ukrainian security officials arrived in the region. Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov condemned Bucha’s allegation and called it a ‘fake attack.’ Even Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova said the Bucha incident is a criminal act, committed not only by those who killed the residents, but by Western string pullers who used their information tools.